On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Mark Andrews wrote:

Below is my overview of the sitution.

I like Mark's summary below. I would add:

11) Some software has taken unused delegations causing dilemmas and/or
technical issues (eg .bit or .gnu)

12) Some hardware has taken unused delegations causing  dilemmas and/or
technical issues (eg .box for Fritzbox, .belkin). [note not all vendors
squated on their own brand, see .box]

And my own personal 13) would be:

        The IETF would like to avoid making any decisions based on
        specific names or trademarks, unless these pose a risk to
        the stability and security of the resolving protocols. For
        DNS specifically, it refers all naming issues to ICANN.

Paul

1) Today domain names are resolved with a number of protocols (e.g.
DNS, MDNS, TOR, NIS).

2) Some names are meant to be globally visible (*.onion) and some are
ment to be only be locally visible (*.local, *.10.in-addr.arpa) and
for some only the delegated authority knows the desired visibility
level.

3) Sometimes the contents of the name signals which protocol should be
used to resolve the name.  e.g. *.local -> mdns, *.onion -> tor.

4) Rules are sometimes needed to inform the resolution software about
which protocol to use.

5) Rules are sometimes need to handle lookups occuring in the wrong
protocol or the wrong place. e.g. *.onion in the DNS, AS112 servers
to 10.in-addr.arpa and locally served local zones, deliberate
breaking of DNSSEC chains of trust.

6) Names should only be used to identify stuff when you have been
delegated them either explicitly or implicitly (e.g. RFC 1918
implicitly delegates 10.in-addr.arpa to anyone using RFC 1918 space).

7) The default resolution mechanism is the DNS.  There are standard
proceedures for delegating names in the DNS.

8) Sometimes it is necessary to perform non standard delegations that
don't follow the normal proceedures as the requirements of the
delegation don't match the normal state of affairs.  The delegation
of .onion for the use of TOR is a example of such a delegation as
well as the delegation of .local for MDNS.

9) Such delegations by their very nature need to be handled on a case-
by-case basis which needs to be co-ordinated with the delegating
authority that normally handles that part of the namespace.  They
are exceptions to the normal rules.

10) Undelegated use of a name complicates the decision to delegate a
name either using conventional mechanisms or using exception
mechanisms.  So to does concurrent requests for a name especially
a TLD. So to does trade mark issues.

In message
<cahw9_ij-9mmsu30fyetjd7y7bpdh3bfjixok8de_uynuf65...@mail.gmail.com>, Warren