On 10/06/2016 09:22 AM, avri doria wrote:

> As for the so-called toxic waste names (i really find that terminology
> problematic)

I agree it's a problem to use that kind of vocabulary to convey a
technical context.

> the so called waste pile of usurped names

Therefore this is also a problem to call names-used-in-the-wild
"usurped" or "squatted", because it says that there's a central body
that assigns names, and it defines who can use them, with the
exclusivity of any other approach.  I know this idea may sound funny to
a lot of people given the missions of IANA and ICANN, and the existence
of trademarks and so-called 'intellectual property', but to me, having
an authority over who can use what names *in general*--as opposed to
particular, specific cases (e.g., trademarks)--is akin to the Novlang
Committee.

Names in the DNS are sanctioned by IANA/ICANN, and those names are
'legitimate' in the context of Internet names.  That doesn't mean at all
that names not sanctioned by ICANN are illegitimate, or that names
covered by trademarks are more 'legitimate' than 'unprotected' names.
This is all a matter of transactions and legal-firepower.  But from
there to legitimate this transactional-belligerent perspective over any
other (historical, cultural, incidental, ontogenetic, etc.) seems to me
problematic and abusive.

==
hk