> On Oct 7, 2016, at 6:51 AM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>
> f someone creates popular software leaking requests for
> .PICKLE, we can grouse all we want but since we're not the Network
> Police, there's not much we can do about it.

There is not much that can be done after the fact, I agree. However, there is
something that can be done before: provide a safe place in the DNS tree where
people can exist without colliding with the rest of the tree. We can't prevent
people from ignoring it and keep using whatever name they want, but at least we
would have provided a way to play nice. In that spirit, efforts like .alt and
friends are a step in the right direction.

Alain