> From: Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at>

> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzme...@nic.fr> wrote:
> >
> > No, blocking a communication is harsh but is not a lie. Returning HTTP
> > code 451 (RFC 7725) is not a lie, the HTTP server clearly says "this
> > is censored".
> >
> > In the case of the DNS, in the absence of a rcode equivalent to 451,
> > modifying the answers of the authoritative name servers is a lie. But
> > some are more or less serious lies: [snip]

SERVFAIL signaling DNSSEC validation failure is the equivalent to an
HTTP 4yz failure status.  Neither is a full and open disclosure to end
users that censorship has occurred, because in both cases end users
only understand that the internet is broken.

But on the real Internet, HTTP 4yz results do not signal censorship,
because great firewalls, HTTP(S) proxies, and compliant PKI CAs are
used for invisible censorship, content injection, etc.

> In an RPZ deployment, if the substitute IP address is a hosts a web site
> that explains the reason for the block, the admin is not trying to conceal
> anything or mislead anyone, so it isn't a lie.

Yes, please see the endlessly repeated references to walled gardens
in the draft.  A good way to use RPZ is to rewrite IP addresses to
local walled gardens.  ISPs do that now to reduce help desk costs.

> Protocol signalling can help, but it is a relatively trivial matter
> compared to how the blocking technology is explained to the people who are
> affected by it.

I don't agree.  While my Aunt Mildred might understand the instructions
of a walled garden the next time she infects her computer, she'll never
understand RPZ, HTTPS proxies, or even firewalls.  Even if she had the
wit, she lacks the interest.

More important is that while DNS and HTTP lies can be used in open,
transparent, and virtuous ways, they won't be in the cases that justify
concern.  Perhaps that is why among the thundering about ethics, human
rights, honesty, evil, and that the draft must never ever in a million
years be accepted without warning text, no text has been proposed.  I
do not see how a principled stand for DNS honesty could accept any
warning text (or protocol signalling).

A better, more realistic, and more honest parallel to the concerns
about RPZ is the fight of governments against encryption.  RPZ and
encryption are just ideas.  It does not matter at this point whether
they might do more harm than good.  You can no more stop governments
and corporations from using DNS lies than governments can stop the use
of encryption.  They can't suppress the arithmetic of public key
encryption any more than you can make DNS server operators forget the
creative use of local zone files or keep all of the millions of code
jockeys like me from writing messaging apps and evil DNS code.  All
that you might do is to make encryption and RPZ less available for good.

Vernon Schryver    v...@rhyolite.com