> On 16 Feb 2017, at 17:47, Edward Lewis <edward.le...@icann.org> wrote:
>
> What about .belkin, often cited as a string seen but not allocated?

It was so prominent in one year’s root server DITL data (in the top 20 TLDs
that were queried?) that it was mentioned in the 2013 Interisle Name Collision
report I helped to produce. IIRC it didn’t show up much in the other year of
DITL data that got crunched for that report. Or the previous years of DITL data
that were analysed after that report had been published.

It’ll just be a simple matter of progamming and a few CPU-months to run through
the datasets at DNS-OARC and get the top N TLD strings for in the root server
DITL data since 2006. I’m not sure this would be much help to the WG’s
consideration of what to do about special use labels though. That data might be
useful for anyone who has the urge to compile yet another list of these
heavily-used-but-not-properly-registered* labels/TLDs.

I’d be willing to gather that information if someone can make a convincing case
for doing that.

*for some definition of these 6 words.