On 02/17/2017 06:48 AM, Edward Lewis wrote:
> On 2/16/17, 12:23, "Suzanne Woolf" <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Russ Housley <hous...@vigilsec.com> wrote:
> Ed:
> (Russ:)
>>> No matter how you count, the volume will remain small if this is done
>>> properly.  However, the special name requests can still be
>>> important and urgent.
> (Suzanne:)
>> I also note it’s fairly difficult to estimate.
>>
>> ... .home/.corp/.mail ... .onion ... .alt ... .homenet
>
> There is also a use of .id by Blockstack? as opposed to the ccTLD for
> Indonesia.  (This one just jumps to mind.)
>
> I did some looking and despite thinking there was once a backlog of a dozen,
> I haven't come across it in the mailing list.  (I could be wrong.)  What
> about .belkin, often cited as a string seen but not allocated?

You missed the ones that started all the drama ;P

- .gnu
- .zkey
- .exit
- .i2p
- .bit

> My goal is to see the problem statement document get more detailed so we can
> know when we've solved the problem.  ("The problem" is meant to be general,
> not necessarily the problem at hand.)
>
>> All of the drafts besides those for .onion, .alt, and .homenet have expired,
>> which tells us nothing about whether or how they might come back.
>
> I don't think liveness of drafts is a sufficient measure of activity,
> considering the problem statement talks about uses from folks not engaging in
> the IETF process.  (If I'm hungry and in line at a restaurant, then walk away
> because the wait is too long, I'm still hungry.)

+1. I have a vested interest in the outcome of this discussion (being
involved in a relevant project), and offered to participate in the
problem statement design process. But with the significant general
headwind around the former, and never hearing back about the latter, I
decided my time was better spent on other things.

Also note that for at least some of these drafts, their inactivity and
expiry likely stems from the very loud "We are freezing the 6761 process
indefinitely" announcement. I doubt anyone outside of the existing IEFT
community would be willing to spend time working on a 6761-dependent
draft without knowing whether it will even exist in future.

Cheers,
str4d