On 2.2.2018 09:32, Mark Andrews wrote:
> This isn’t about whether name servers load A records with non LDH names
> as they all can.
>
> The real question is do the name lookup api’s in the web browsers barf
> on non IDN, non LDH names since that is the mechanism being proposed
> for people to test this.

Sure. Given that MS AD users underscore A records in its integrated DNS
server (at least in older versions), it is going to work with DNS
resolver distributed with Windows. This covers 99 % of clients which can
potentially be target of potential ad campaign.

So, now, we need to test browsers...

Talk is cheap, let's get hands dirty!

I just tested Firefox 58.0.1 on Fedora 27
URL http://_test.example

Result: The Firefox under test issued DNS queries
_test.example. A
_test.example. AAAA
just fine.

nsswitch.conf:
hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostnam

I do not have other desktop system at hand, so I will defer other
experiments to others.

Please do experiments and report your results.
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC