On 21/09/2018 20:12, Dan York wrote:

I do think this is a path we need to go.  We need *something* like CNAME at the apex.  Either CNAME itself or something that works in the same way but might have a different name.

I agree, and earlier today (well, yesterday, now) I wrote it up:

A new version of I-D, draft-bellis-dnsop-http-record-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Ray Bellis and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-bellis-dnsop-http-record
Revision:       00
Title:          A DNS Resource Record for HTTP
Document date:  2018-11-04
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          5

Abstract:
   This document specifies an "HTTP" resource record type for the DNS to
   facilitate the lookup of the server hostname of HTTP(s) URIs.  It is
   intended to replace the use of CNAME records for this purpose, and in
   the process provides a solution for the inability of the DNS to allow
   a CNAME to be placed at the apex of a domain name.