From my high tech gadget

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 06:30, Ray Bellis <r...@bellis.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/11/2018 04:13, Tim Wicinski wrote:
>>
>> I can't stress this enough - when you see ALIAS records at zone cuts
>> that point to a database server, already, then we've missed the
>> "server specific" ball.
>
> This sounds like it ought to be a very unusual configuration.
>
> Even with a zone cut, couldn't those DB servers have been addressed as
> 'db.<domain>' instead?

Sure but as more than one engineer whose been using this for several years asks
“why should I change? This works now and you’re just cramping engineering
velocity. “

And saying “it’s not standard” doesn’t hold water. Sure there are migration
issues but if folks stay in their vendor ecosystem....

These are the questions we as operators are asked regularly. These are the
questions  DNSOP need to look forward on.

>> And can someone show a significant number of SRV examples outside of
>> SIP and some gaming servers?
>
> Kerberos and AD both use SRV records.  Bonjour uses SRV extensively.

I forgot about AD. Those are set up by admins right?

Doesn’t Bonjour create those records behind the scenes?

People are saying a domain owner is going to log into godaddy and configure a
SRV record.

If you want to convince me SRV will work get the vendors to support it
seamlessly.