I don't mean to channel Warren (it's unnecessary because even when he's asleep
he's still reading mail) but I think the whole point of the ALT proposal is not
to have a registry. A registry attracts policy and dispute resolution; an
informal, decentralised understanding that anything goes, please play nicely
with each other is (it is proposed) less likely to lead to friction.

Right -- a .alt with a registry would be pointless and counterproductive.

It'd be pointless since the whole idea of .alt is to encourage people to squat their non-DNS names there, and people will do that no matter what a registry says. It'd be counterproductive since even though the registry was pointless, the same nitwits that have been imagining they'll get rich by squatting on TLDs for the past 20 years will fill the registry with speculative garbage.

Per Warren's recent message that .onion et al say they might have used ..alt, in that case it seems like a pretty cheap experiment.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY