> On 26 Nov 2019, at 10:18, Roy Arends <r...@dnss.ec> wrote:
>
> "Is it safe to use ISO3166-1 Alpha-2 code elements from the User Assigned
> range as top level domains for my own private use?"

> It is my understanding that the ISO3166 Maintenance Agency can not re-assign
> codes from the User Assigned range. This needs an action from ISO TC46.

It would be prudent to assume that there is a possibility, no matter how
remote, that codes from the User Assigned range could get re-assigned one day.
Whoever made the current policy could well change it.*

So if your idea goes forward, I think there needs to be some text which
explains this. ie User Assigned 3166 codes *might* be OK for private use today;
that list of code points is subject to change even if that's highly unlikely;
plan accordingly just in case your private use two-letter code gets repurposed.

* I read documents in the late 90s, albeit not from SDOs, telling companies to
anchor their internal name space under .corp because it was impossible for that
TLD to ever exist in the public Internet. This was before ICANN was formed.