In article <f4f41481-c2a7-4fdf-af76-65c36ab23...@nohats.ca> you write:
>Not convinced the situation should be this black and white - eg perhaps
>partial glue would be enough
>not to require TC=1 or behaviour for resolvers could be a little more advanced
>to try with partial
>before going to TCP.
>
>If my request seem stupid, the draft needs clarification for stupid people
>like me :)

The draft, which I hope we adopt, could use clarification if that
seems like a good idea.

Imagine you have foo.example with two nameservers, ns1.foo.example and
ns2.foo.example. Client looks up something.foo.example, server returns
a referral with two NS records but only has room for one A record for
ns1. The Internet is having a bad day and ns1 is unreachable while ns2
is fine. Since there's no TC=1 the client has no idea that requerying
would return the A record for ns2, so it wrongly assumes ns2 has no A
record and the domain is kaput. It can't separately requery for ns2,
since who would it ask?

It's fine to return a partial result with TC=1, that's always been the case.

R's,
John