On 7/23/2020 1:38 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
I do appreciate that STD 13 mentions "master" in some cases as a synonym for "primary";
however, it doesn't mention them in a couple with "slave" and I think this is an example of where
low-numbered RFCs sometimes need to be read in their historical context rather than with slavish (ho ho)
devotion to individual words. I realise that RFC 8499 does the same. I think common usage is usefully
different, however (e.g. see various implementations' configuration syntax).

If we are looking for alternative terminology to master/slave (which I am not
against, because change is a constant and inclusiveness and awareness amongst
all industries is surely to be supported and encouraged) in my opinion we
should find new words and not redefine or overload the common meaning of
primary and secondary.

One of the alternate meanings for "master" is "authoritative" (e.g. "master reference", "zone master file", "master recording").   Unfortunately, that would have us end up with "the authoritative authoritative server" which contains the authoritative copy of the zone data.

I think we can find alternatives for "master/slave", I'm not sure we can find a good alternative to "master" in isolation nor in reference to the data sources.

Mike