On 02/08/2022 13.53, Martin Schanzenbach wrote:
This is not an oversight (altough I have to admin it did not occur to me
that this a valid DNS TLD at the time of writing).  [...]

Oh, I understood that this DNSOP thread - notably the first post - originated as an attempt to reduce collisions between GNS pet names and DNS names.  Probably by standardizing .alt (or similar) as special in DNS and encouraging that GNS pet names nest under it.

If I got this wrong, I suspect it might be helpful to restate the DNSOP-related intentions more clearly.

--Vladimir | knot-resolver.cz