Disclaimer: I work for the Internet Society but I am not speaking for them.

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 07:11:38PM +0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:

recommends that the ICANN board to pick a string that will never be put into
the DNS root, and thus is usable for systems like GNS.

This was, of course, the whole point of the .alt draft in the first place, at least when
I was involved in preparing it.  I don't think any of us involved then cared whether it
was alt or one of thousands of other strings that it could have been.  The main point was
to come up with something that would not pad total length too much and that could be a
clear "protocol switch".  The registration in the IANA sutld registry was
suppossed to ensure the same outcome as what is going through SSAC, but it makes no
difference to me what the characters are.  Note that because of the old-timey
restriction, I suspect the characters must all be alphabetic, though perhaps that rule
has been superseded by IDNA.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com