Hi,

First, I would like us to continue to consult on the registry matter at least through the London IETF, and would ask the chairs for some time in London for this purpose.  I would also be available for side meetings with any interested party, before or during the IETF.  If people would like, we can grab a room for this purpose, if we can do so in the morning so that Martin can participate remotely (he is far to the east of London).

As a matter of practicality, a registry surely will be form.  It is simply a matter of whether the IANA will host it.  If the IANA does not host it, then by shifting it elsewhere this group is actually weakening the IANA function, and that would be sad.

Two more points below.

Paul wrote:

This proposes two significant changes to the draft: make the registry FCFS and
make entrance to it be by RFC. Those are both pretty heavy-weight for things
*that are not part of our naming system*.

Heavy for who?  Those wanting to create an entire naming systems for the Internet?  Look, from my perspective I am comfortable with ANY registry policy.  I've already provided a number of options to put the brakes on, if people are worried about a sudden rash of people building entire new name systems for the Internet.  So let's discuss.

Martin followed up to Paul:

  I strongly prefer "drop the registry" and let the non-DNS folks figure out
how to deal with their own issues. After you see the next draft, if you think the
registry with your two changes is needed, you can propose to add it back in.

The consequence of this (and I am looking at ISE here) will be that our
document will not be able to clearly define how to "use" alt as we are
not an authority on how to do things in the "non-DNS folks" community and
there is not way how to do that to date obviously.

There exist a number of possibilities to establish an external registry.  What is important is that one of them be mentioned in the ALT draft, so that others know where to look.  But let's get through London.

Eliot