On 20.10.22 12:05, Brian Dickson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 1:16 AM Eliot Lear <l...@lear.ch> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > First, I would like us to continue to consult on the registry matter at
> > least through the London IETF, and would ask the chairs for some time in
> > London for this purpose.  I would also be available for side meetings
> > with any interested party, before or during the IETF.  If people would
> > like, we can grab a room for this purpose, if we can do so in the
> > morning so that Martin can participate remotely (he is far to the east
> > of London).
> >
> > As a matter of practicality, a registry surely will be form.  It is
> > simply a matter of whether the IANA will host it.  If the IANA does not
> > host it, then by shifting it elsewhere this group is actually weakening
> > the IANA function, and that would be sad.
> >

> I spent quite a bit of time in the last couple of days reading all the
> threaded posts, as well as the two relevant drafts: the alt-tld one, and
> the gns one.
>
> The latter (quite a large document, with lots of important nuances
> including additions related to dotALT conceptually) has some major
> challenges for whether/how it would even fit in such a registry.
>
> I fear those challenges mean that GNS simply won't be possible to properly
> have registry entries, and without GNS, or possibly using GNS as an
> alternative namespace example, the registry makes no sense.
>
> Here's the problem that the GNS draft includes (and maybe doesn't highlight
> well enough): GNS is not a namespace. There is no central administration of
> namespace(s) under GNS, or even a central anything. GNS has no global
> "anything", and no concept of global per se. At best, entities can publish
> their own equivalent of "root zone"s that assert to a population of
> consumers as to what namespace entities exist, without any authority over
> any aspect of namespaces. It is anarchy embodied.
>
> Everything in GNS relies on mappings, and "petnames". While those can
> potentially be placed under some parent label, the existence of such a
> parent label (either ".alt" or ".gns.alt") is neither necessary nor
> sufficient to achieve any kind of global consistency.
>
> There is also no ability to enforce any rules on using any parent label, or
> to prevent conflicting intra-GNS "petnames", or to prevent conflicts
> between GNS "petnames" and any other TLD namespaces (including DNS). GNS
> allows anyone (with local context) to instantiate any namespace (tree
> anchored anywhere), including instantiating new TLDs (contrary to ICANN's
> current role as exclusive entity responsible for administering the DNS
> namespace at the TLD level) and instantiating conflicting TLDs, SLDs, 3LDs,
> or anything beneath those.

In GNS, you can expect that there will be default configurations of TLDs
(e.g. example.gns.alt with the alt suffix).
Those defaults (=root) will have to be governed similarly to what ICANN
does. And rules will, of cource, have to be enforced contractually, not
through the protocol. As is the case with DNS.

Yes the user can create local mappings, but you can do the same in DNS
(split horizon, RFC8375 etc etc)

> The question that hasn't been addressed is, who SHOULD actually do
> registrations in this proposed registry?

Experts well versed in name system design?

> I don't believe the authors of the GNS draft have the actual authority to
> do so, as they do not administer any name space per se.

Not exclusively, no.

> If someone did want to instantiate a local namespace, or a kind-of, sort-of
> bigger-than-local namespace (with delegations) as the GNS draft generally
> describes, would they be the entities registering their namespace?
> Those namespaces are not required to be unique within GNS, as well, so even
> having an FCFS registry would not mirror the reality of GNS. There could
> easily be 1000 different instances of "lotr.gns.alt" within GNS, each with
> its own zone(s) with names like "frodo", "bilbo", "gandalf" etc.

I do not understand the question. Isn't that exactly how home.arpa
works?
Names in .home.arpa are only locally unique. In practice, GNS will
actually have unique(r) deployments than .home.arpa.
But even if it does not, calling global uniqueness/consistency a
requirement is calling home.arpa not a namespace.

BR
Martin