Timothy Mcsweeney <t...@dropnumber.com> writes:

> > Sadly, we almost
> > need two .alt name spaces: one which is explicitly
> > not-registry-controlled, and one which is.
> >

> Who is 'we' in the above sentence?

There are two camps of people that want to play in the alternate naming
space:

1. Those that want to figure out a way to inter-operate such that
conflicts don't occur and that an end-user can likely get the answer
that they're looking for, even with multiple naming systems in place.
How this happens, and where the magic flag occurs that says "you're
leaving the DNS naming system but still using a DNS like name" is left
to be decided, including whether one or multiple boundaries include a
1. "but you can now consult this alternate naming system registration
table" or 2. "beyond here you're on your own" [not intending to be
negative here].

2. Those that deliberately want to collide because the nature of their
solution may be to "replace" the DNS because they detest centralization
based solutions, or think theirs is simply better, or ....

The "we" was referring to 1.  The definition and examples could, of
course, be a lot longer and more refined.

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI