On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 4:31 AM Eliot Lear <l...@lear.ch> wrote:

> Hi Ben and Wes,
> On 21.10.22 20:45, Ben Schwartz wrote:
>

> Rather than placing "alt" in the TLD position, I think it might be better
> as a scheme modifier: https+alt://...  This is a common pattern  for
> modifications to URI schemes (c.f. git+ssh://), and informs the software
> that this URI is special without overloading the DNS namespace.
>
> How would this work in practice?

Thinking about this more, I can imagine having both "+alt" and ".alt".  In
this world, ".alt" would be for "the system's alternate DNS root",
providing DNS-equivalent functionality but not in IANA-controlled space.
"+alt" would be for "the system's alternative interpretations of URI
schemes", with no further requirement that the authority be domain-shaped
at all.

>    - Would this require a re-registering of each and every URI scheme
>    with +alt, and monitoring the URI scheme registry for new ones?
>
>  I don't think so.  We could define it as a universal scheme modifier.

>    -   (I'll note that git+ssh isn't registered.)
>
> Unfortunately, most URI schemes outside of the RFC process are not
registered.  I think there's a general lack of awareness that registration
is required or easy.

>    - What is the value of +alt at this point?  Why not use +gns or +onion
>    or +eliotsfavoritenamespace?
>
> That sounds like a very intriguing idea, and might be better than +alt.

>    - How might or should this be reflected in the browser bar?
>
> Personally, I would treat an "x+y://" scheme as unrelated to "x://", and
make the distinction clear to users