On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 7:18 AM Ben Schwartz <bemasc=
40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 4:31 AM Eliot Lear <l...@lear.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ben and Wes,
>> On 21.10.22 20:45, Ben Schwartz wrote:
>>

>> Rather than placing "alt" in the TLD position, I think it might be better
>> as a scheme modifier: https+alt://...  This is a common pattern  for
>> modifications to URI schemes (c.f. git+ssh://), and informs the software
>> that this URI is special without overloading the DNS namespace.
>>
>> How would this work in practice?
>>
> Thinking about this more, I can imagine having both "+alt" and ".alt".  In
> this world, ".alt" would be for "the system's alternate DNS root",
> providing DNS-equivalent functionality but not in IANA-controlled space.
> "+alt" would be for "the system's alternative interpretations of URI
> schemes", with no further requirement that the authority be domain-shaped
> at all.
>

>>    - Would this require a re-registering of each and every URI scheme
>>    with +alt, and monitoring the URI scheme registry for new ones?
>>
>>  I don't think so.  We could define it as a universal scheme modifier.
>

>>    -   (I'll note that git+ssh isn't registered.)
>>
>> Unfortunately, most URI schemes outside of the RFC process are not
> registered.  I think there's a general lack of awareness that registration
> is required or easy.
>

>>    - What is the value of +alt at this point?  Why not use +gns or
>>    +onion or +eliotsfavoritenamespace?
>>
>> That sounds like a very intriguing idea, and might be better than +alt.
>

>>    - How might or should this be reflected in the browser bar?
>>
>> Personally, I would treat an "x+y://" scheme as unrelated to "x://", and
> make the distinction clear to users

 As noted by Timothy Mcsweeney in the original thread, sub-delim characters
are not permitted in the scheme.

However, my view on potential parsing and encoding is something that the
current URI specification already supports.

I think the namespace indicator definitely is something that should be
coupled with the "authority" portion of the URI. We're talking about how to
resolve the host portion of a URI, and while that might be expanded outside
of DNS, the URI spec already lists other non-DNS ways that a name might be
resolved. In Seciton 3.2.2 (Host) of RFC 3986) and specifically and
explicitly supports whatever is needed by resolution mechanisms in the
"reg-name" syntax, with the expectation that parsing and resolving a
"reg-name" is handled outside of the scope of URI parsing, so long as the
extraction of the "reg-name" works (i.e. that "reg-name" complies with the
URI specification).

And "reg-name" is essentially the normal characters from DNS, plus
"sub-delim" characters.
That list of characters includes the "!" character, which I think would
best enable encoding to indicate new name systems, e.g. using GNS as an
example:
gns!some.gns.name.gns.alt
(The suffix gns.alt is to ensure that if for any reason leakage to DNS does
happen by the GNS resolver, it won't get a real DNS answer. Yes, that is
redundant, but by design.)

Brian