Joe Abley wrote:

I'm not convinced that 1034/5 really allow QDCOUNT > 1,

1034 specifies standard queries and responses must have
QDCOUNT=1 but 1035 explicitely allows responses to
inverse queries have QDCOUNT>1. Inverse queries must
have QDCOUNT=0.

even if they left that door temptingly open. But we know that > those are old
documents that lack normative clarity.

In this case, quite normatively, 1034 states:

   Of the possible 16 values,
   one (standard query) is part of the official protocol, two (inverse
   query and status query) are options, one (completion) is obsolete, and
   the rest are unassigned.

but status query is not specified.

So, there is no specification to mention queries with QDCOUNT>1,
either informatively, optionaly or normatively.

Then, 3425 titled "Obsoleting IQUERY" updated 1035.

As such, after 3425, QDCOUNT nomatively must always be 1.

> It will be interesting to find out whether using QDCOUNT > 1
> in practice is useful.

Meaninglessness of queries matching multiple RR types
is already documented by 1035. See my first mail of the
thread.

                                                Masataka Ohta