I'm not seeing the place in RFC 1034 where it explicitly specifics any
value at all for QDCOUNT. Can you point to it?

Note that if we think of this in terms of trying to understand what the
writers intended, then your conclusion might make sense, but that's not
good enough. It needs to actually unequivocally say what to do and what not
to do, or else anything that is within the bounds of what is said is
something that is actually said is valid to do. Certainly multiple
questions is within the bounds of what is said, even if you think it is
meaningless to have more than one.