On 5/1/23, 4:25 PM, "DNSOP on behalf of Mark Delany" <dnsop-boun...@ietf.org on
behalf of m...@india.emu.st> wrote:

>    On 01May23, John Kristoff apparently wrote:
>    > (usually due to a bad configuration)
>
>    Was any "lame" situation defined which wasn't the result of a bad
> configuration?

The difference between observing a symptom and diagnosing a cause is great.  I
say this to caution against tying the "why it is" with "what it is."

(E.g., a lame delegation may have been set up to test software's reaction to a
lame delegation, like seeing zone data mis-signed for a DNSSEC test.)

Further, prescribing a remedy, even when a symptom is identified and a
diagnosis nailing the cause, can still be tricky.

In defining what the term "lame delegation" means, stick to the situation as
observed, without guessing why or the fix.