In the general case, you can't do anything with those bits for the same
practical reason why we can't decide to allow QDCOUNT > 1.  Too many
existing servers expect that those bits can never be validly non-zero and
will have unpredictable behavior.  It's already out-of-our-control ossified.

If we could do something with those bits (but we unfortunately can't), my
recommendation would be to use them to allow QDCOUNT > 1.  :P