Top-reply (since there are already a bunch of threaded replies that might
benefit from this):
Queries are small, and have room in the first packet for EDNS (and often
the resulting size will still be < 576).
Idea:
EDNS "signal" + bits -> tells server the client knows about the new meaning
of the 15 bits of QCOUNT, and is sending its client-side version of what
those bits are.
I.e. the bits are NOT changed from zero in the header in the *query*, only
in the *reply* and only if the server understands this EDNS option.
IFF a server understands this EDNS parameter, it responds with the
corresponding EDNS parameter (possibly without bits, either same EDNS
parameter or a sibling parameter), and sets the 15 bits per whatever the
rules are.
Reason:
Putting bits in the header (when mutually understood and agreed upon)
ensures they are in the first portion of the response, even if the response
gets fragmented. E.g. for entropy, this is an important feature, to protect
against things like "fragmentation considered poisonous".

Brian