Hi,

i think this issue shall be considered in two split cases:

a) when the *registry* is to be notified. I think this can be achieved easily, the registry only creates a single target for child notifies. I'm not sure if current specs allow to do it safely (so that that target is separated enough from the rest of registry infrastructure) or any new (but single!) record is needed for the target signalling.

b) when the *registrar* is to be notified. AFAIK registrars are so far not at all represented anywhere in the DNS tree. I assume that the notify target has to be settled somehow in the contract between the registrant and the registrar.

The "alternative #2" would demand creating a new zone with as many records (mostly CNAMEs?) as there are delegations in the registry. I'd expect this would be operationally difficult at least from the point of adding/removing records for the zones that are added/removed from the registry. Aesthetically speaking, I don't like this idea.

Libor