On Feb 27, 2024, at 10:53, Toerless Eckert <t...@cs.fau.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 01:48:22PM +0100, Joe Abley wrote:
>> Op 27 feb 2024 om 12:08 heeft Toerless Eckert <t...@cs.fau.de> het volgende
>> geschreven:
>>
>>>      I would like to see a BCP RFC on the use of the "internal" TLD,
>>>      and ICANN should not finalize availability of the TLD unless that RFC
>>> exists.
>>
>> Surely what ICANN is preparing to do is make a decision that an "internal"
>> TLD should never be available.
>
> How did you come to that conclusion. It sounded to me as if ICANN
> is on the road to assign .internal for the purpose.

No, not at all. The wording of the proposal says "string to be reserved for the
purpose of a top-level domain that may be used for internal or private use
applications". Here, "reserved" means never put in the root zone.

I note that the term "reserved" was never defined. I'll try to get that
rectified.

--Paul Hoffman