On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 19:12 -0600, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2011/01/12 6:49 AM  Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> > I agree, however, that completely rewriting the documentation / guides,
> > etc, just to take into account the specificities of Mac vocabulary is
> > not a route that I am going to go down. If Larry wants to make Mac
> > specific guides just for that platform then he is quite welcome to do so
> > as far as I'm concerned :-))
>
> I am not and am not about to become a documentation writer. However, it is
> very important to
> have correct terminology for users learning a program.
>
> I have lost count of the number of times Mac users on help forums have stated
> they can not find
> "Tools/Options" after being referred to that setting by a user guide or help
> file (or a non Mac
> user trying to give support). The correct location is
> "OpenOffice.org/Preferences". An
> experienced Mac user will probably figure it out for themselves since that is
> the usual
> location for preference settings on a Mac. But a new Mac user will not know
> that.

The OOo docs team are putting the common Mac menu and keystroke
differences in a table in every chapter of the OOo user guides, and I
believe the LibO docs team are keeping those tables. We (the OOo team)
will expand those lists as needed, if someone who uses a Mac brings the
differences to our attention. It may not be an ideal solution, but I
believe it is a definite improvement.

The inclusion of the Mac menu/keystroke info came about because someone
finally joined the team who (a) is a Mac user and (b) specifically
mentioned these issues. I at least am very happy this occurred.