On 5/10/2012 6:42 PM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:
Le 10/05/2012 23:43, Dan Lewis a écrit :

  IMO, the list paragraph styles need to be studied very carefully. I
find duplication of styles that unnecessarily makes understanding them
very complex.

The complexity comes from the Next Style setting, which many people ignore completely.

For example among the factory-default styles, the Indents& Spacing
parameters of Numbering 1 and Numbering 1 Cont. are identical. Why
should the next style for Numbering 1 Start be Numbering 1? Why is it
not Numbering 1 Cont.? Why does Numbering 1 Start have a 2 line space
above it, and Numbering 1 End have a two line space below it?

So that the starting and ending list items are visually separated from the surrounding body.

      In our chapter template we have a similar situation: OOoNum 123
Start and OOoNum 123 Cont. have identical parameters in the Indents&
Spacing tab. Why is this?

The important setting here is the Next Style definition, such as we may have:

List 1 Start -> List 1 Cont. -> List 1 End

According to my thinking, each ?(ordered or unordered) list should have only ONE applied End style--for the very last entry of the list--be it applied to the last list entry or a paragraph within the list. That is to provide a space after the list proper for the next entry--usually a body-text paragraph. The End styles provide more interpargraph spacing than the Start or Cont. styles. Applying them within a list would introduce undesirable spacing between nested list levels.

Gary

                  ^      |
                  -------

The question remains, though: should we keep this list style chain or should we adopt a simpler one-style-fits-all option?

The latter is simpler but can't bring all the power of the chaining, ie, paragraph spacing, as you mention. The former is more complex and very few people would use that. the others wouldn't understand the actual benefits for using it.