Ahh, memory...thanks Rob.  I dug into the bowels of brain cells and
remember first looking at the master cylinder, suspecting that it was a
motorcycle component, then found the Cleveland part number. I now remember
my relief, and recall also pricing a replacement, which I have not needed.
Best I can tell, my master cylinder has never been removed.  Certainly not
while in my possession for 15 years or so, working perfectly with DOT 3.
If I remove my gas tank for antenna wiring this spring, I probably ought to
do preventative replacement of O rings/ seals.
Regarding the BMW battery I mentioned earlier, that is the only one I have
found that will fit the glass battery box/surround. All the aftermarket
ones I find are about 1/4 inch taller. I run them about three years before
replacement. Works out to about $5 a month, incidental to aircraft
ownership.