On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 00:14 +0000, C A Wills wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
> > On 08/11/09 21:42, Mark Elkins wrote:
> >> I would have thought that if the location of the Bournemouth meeting was
> >> too move then it should be to somewhere with wireless. Although that said
> >> the presence of wireless may interfere too much with face to face
> >> discussion, which is the purpose of physical meetings I would have thought.
> >>
> >> For the record parking for the Goat is not a problem (for those of us in
> >> the know over free parking places in that area after 1900 hours). However
> >> I don't see what advantage the location has over the present one unless
> >> one happens to live in the centre of Bournemouth. Also the Goat may not be
> >> as quiet and relaxed as the Kings Arms in terms of background noise etc.
> >>
> >> Maybe if the location is moved it should be near to Bournemouth Rail/Coach
> >> Station - but then parking might prove to be problem unless you want to
> >> take advantage of ASDA and 3 hours worth of free parking.
> >>
> >> Mark Elkins
> >>

> > I've never thought Wallisdown was a good venue as few attend the Uni and
> > not a particular pleasant area. Bournemouth Asda location is even worse
> > as nothing around there and no parking. Dorchester Wetherspoon is a good
> > location for people in that area. In Poole/Bournemouth the pubs are
> > pretty poor venues as either no wireless or too noisy. Plus the fact all
> > the pubs have CCTV, so the paranoid amongst us will feel big brother (is
> > that M$ ?) is watching them. So I doubt this issue will ever be resolved
> > as in all the years no one has come up with anything better than the
> > Kings Arms.
> >

> As a recent convert to Linux the only reason I've heard raised for
> moving the Bournemouth venue would be to obtain a wireless connection.
> Reason for that is so that anyone trying to show someone (like me!) how
> to do something could  connect to the internet.  Kings Arms is usually
> comparatively quiet and space is not normally a problem (as long as one
> of us gets there on time) and parking is not a problem either.  I have
> tried to attend both location whenever possible so feel I can compare
> sites objectively (please no flame wars over this comment!!).
> No pub is going to be ideal for demonstrating on a laptop but wireless
> connection can be useful sometimes.
>
> Clive

Well, it sounds like time for a pub crawl!.

But I had a look for pubs in Poole, & Parkstone, and I would never last
the course. a work group used to meet at the Grasshopper on Branksome
Road in Parkstone, which I seem to remember had the sort of layout
conducive to small meetings, But whether it has wireless or not I don't
know.

Peter.

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/