Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Terry Coles wrote:
>
>> It may be that our discussions about finding pubs which provide Wi-Fi may be
>> pointless if the pup operators take the next logical step after this case:
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10405824-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5
>>
>> 'A pub owner in the U.K. has been fined £8,000 (about $13,183) because
>> someone
>> unlawfully downloaded copyrighted material over its open Wi-Fi hotspot,
>> according to the managing director of hotspot provider The Cloud.'
>>
>> There is nothing in the article about what the operators might do about it,
>> but if I was a pub landlord, I'd think twice about offering this.
>>

> I really don't understand the legality of this.

I wonder if the landlord in question was actually hit by one of these
'prosecutions':

Basically, a law firm that has been hired by a group of IP owners to go
after filesharers and goes about it by sending letters to the alleged
filesharer threatening court action if they don't voluntarily cough up.
Apparently many do, despite the fact that this has yet to be taken
through the courts and many of the accused lack the wherewithal, the
equipment and the motive to commit the 'crime'!

The law firm in question is under investigation for its methods.

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/