Peter Merchant wrote:
> Now, Take the university, with it's 250-300 Wireless access points and
> 16,000 students, and tell me that none of them have ever  downloaded
> anything not legit.  And it all comes over JANET (Joint Academic
> Network).
>
> There's a lot of money there for someone if they can figure out who to
> sue.

Sadly, it appears that there's a living out there for less scrupulous
lawyers even if they /don't/ know who to sue, just who to scare.

There's a lot of folk willing to pay to make the spectre of a court case
disappear even if there's a good chance they will be proved innocent. A
lot of the 'customers' of the law firm in the BBC news item are porn
studios - there's people out there who don't want that kind of mud to
stick regardless of whether they actually downloaded that sort of
material or not.

Instead of Lord Mandelson being paid a fortune to try and make bad,
outdated law work in favour of his rich sponsors, perhaps we need to
start employing forward-looking and tech-savvy law makers to overhaul
the system so that everyone is afforded the protection they are entitled
to, little folk and big business alike.

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/