http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10405824-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

>'A pub owner in the U.K. has been fined ?8,000 (about $13,183) because
>>someone
>unlawfully downloaded copyrighted material over its open Wi-Fi hotspot,
>according to the managing director of hotspot provider The Cloud.'

>There is nothing in the article about what the operators might do about >it,
>but if I was a pub landlord, I'd think twice about offering this.

>--
>        Terry Coles
>        64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

Terry

>From reading the two articles pointed to at the end of this article

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10405824-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

things appear very unclear.

In theory UK law decisions apply a test of reasonableness to them. Therefore is
it reasonable for those supplying any form of open public internet access such
as pubs, universities  etc to be prey to fines for unlawful downloads?

The recent decision to give everyone in Swindon some form of free internet
access would appear in theory to mean that those supplying that internet access
may be prey to fines as mentioned in the above article.

I think something is not right here - perhaps the pub itself has been
downloading loads of copyrighted material - maybe music for example. Otherwise
why would there be no appeal against the decision of the court involved
mentioned in the above article?

Mark Elkins

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/