On 16/08/10 15:10, Walter Reed wrote:
My little Acer AOA  Netbook model ZG5 has bitten the dust. (1 GBt Ram 120GB hdd
and about 18 months old.)  I've had loads of fun out of this model and use it
most days but now it looks like 'curtains'.
It will boot past the Grub choices (LInpus or Ubuntu) and into the OS or the
memtest but dies after about 10 seconds.  In the memtest it commences the test
but soon falls over.  Likewise if I try to boot an OS from a usb stick.
My suspicion is obviously a memory failure but could it be otherwise? Are there
any other tests I can make?I gather there are two sticks of memory hidden in
the bottom of the case and everything needs dismantling to get to it.  Even
then one strip is supposed to soldered in!
Can anyone recommend a local repair guru (postcode BH or DT) where I could take
it. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards, Walter

RapidPCs in Somerford, Christchurch have always given me good service with laptop repairs and I believe they are Acer stockists.

http://www.rapidpcs.co.uk/services/

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413