Hi Walter,

> It will boot past the Grub choices (LInpus or Ubuntu) and into the OS
> or the memtest but dies after about 10 seconds.  In the memtest it
> commences the test but soon falls over.  Likewise if I try to boot an
> OS from a usb stick.
>
> My suspicion is obviously a memory failure but could it be otherwise?

Could it be the CPU shuts down from over heating?  I've not experienced
that so I don't know how well it would match the symptoms.  What if you
make it stop at the grub stage so it's waiting for you to select a menu
item, does it last longer then?

Has it been in a dusty environment so fans and vents could have got
blocked, impairing cooling?

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413