> I have just installed Win7 Home Basic into a partition that had
> previously held Win XP Home and been resized with GParted. I then
> followed that up with an installation of Linux Mint Debian and that
> detected the Win 7 instance and set up dual booting.
>
> Now, I realise that what I have described above is not exactly the same
> as having Win 7 pre-installed and resizing, so your mileage may well
> vary. If youhoroughly back up your data and ensure that you have a means
> to restore your Win 7 you should be okay.

The issue remains though that LDME doesn't seem to tell if there's
anything special it does when encountering 7... and it also uses
GRUB2, which I have a dislike for.

> I guess the safe alternative /might/ be to buy a commercial product to
> resize the partition, although I have no idea what products are out
> there and how good they are as I have been happily using GParted without
> issue* for the last few years. The last time I bought something it was
> Partition Magic, which was not without faults and was relatively
> expensive for what was effectively a single use program.

I once ah... acquired a similar commercial product, and quickly found
GParted much better. That said, this was pre-Vista, so whether or not
that's changed... at any rate, having to pay out for it isn't exactly
an option on short finances at the moment.
Thanks all the same.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00