On Saturday, 18 November 2017 10:13:56 GMT Professor Maqjor wrote:
> After having made a complete switch to Ubuntu, a handful of problems
> have turned up and I can't find any solutions online.

Rafi,

I don't use Ubuntu (I use Kubuntu) so a lot of my experience is likely to be
irrelevant to your problem.

However:

> The issues I'm having the most are:

> <Various performance issues>

>     - Icons of apps showing as a question mark.
>
>     - Terminal windows became sub-windows of Mozilla Thunderbird, even
> when Thunderbird was closed. Only happened once though, restart fixed it.

Did you install this as a clean system or as a replacement for your old (Mint
I think) installation?  If so, was it a *really* clean install or did you have
your /home directory on a separate partition and point Ubuntu to it?

I've had issues in the past where I tried re-use my home partition and
'inherited' some nasty problems.  It shouldn't happen if you do a clean
install of a later version of the same distro, but could well be problematic
if you are installing Ubuntu over a Mint system.

> I'm looking for an Ubuntu Tweaks alternative, as I've seen it's been
> discontinued. I'm also missing an anti-virus, any recommendations?

I can't help on Ubuntu Tweaks, but I generally use ClamAV for antivirus.

Of course there are few Linux viruses as yet, but it does help to avoid
passing on viruses to Windows users :-)