Hi Patrick,

> but what method did you use to produce the list of files, excluding
> common operating system libraries?

I expect Bob used ldd(1) and then removed common ones by hand, knowing
what they were likely to be.  For a one-off quick task, automating it
would be more tedious.

    set /usr/bin/{true,vim,gimp}

    needed() { ldd "$@" | awk '$2 == "=>" {print $3}'; }
    for f; do
        echo $f
        needed $f | fgrep -vf <(
            needed "$@" |
            sort |
            uniq -dc |
            awk '$1 == '$#' {print $2}'
        ) |
        xargs -rd\\n size -t
        echo
    done

> I was inspired to read man(1)'s manual page and to belatedly try out
> man -k and man -K.

Yes, I do use apropos(1).

> For example, the short description of size(1) does not make any
> mention of object files:
>
>     $ man -f size
>     size (1)             - list section sizes and total size.

This is a bug that you may like to report; it needs ‘of object or
archive files’ appended.  The DESCRIPTION section says as much.  It also
shouldn't end the description with a full stop.

> So, I still feel in want of a good categorised summary of well-known
> commands, or at least a search technique that can expand my search to
> include conceptually-related terms.

I learnt by reading books.  Pre-Internet.  The authors back then
typically put a lot of effort into providing a coherent progression
through the subject.  ‘The Unix Programming Environment’ is an old
classic if you're also interested in programming on Unix.
http://amzn.to/16SVwhD

And the man pages came printed on paper from Sun along with a permuted
index.  Just reading down that index was a good way to find new things
to learn; especially as they paid editors to ensure good NAME sections.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptx_(Unix)

After books came mailing lists and Usenet groups where you'd learn to
spot the knowledgable writers.

Ideally, ‘every day's a school day’.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-08-06 20:00