Hi Patrick,

> > For a one-off quick task, automating it would be more tedious.
>
> But you did it anyway, even though you didn't need the results!

Well, I was wondering how it could be done and like solving the puzzle;
keeps my hand in.  What I did was O(n²) though, where n is the number of
files.  For production, fgrep's patterns should be calculated just once.

> There seems to be a copy of it in the library at Bournemouth
> University.  https://capitadiscovery.co.uk/bournemouth-ac/items/91529
> At some point I will head over there to have a read and see what's
> nearby on the shelves

The university used to have staff and students interested in Unix and
ran Solaris or a descendant so there could be quite a few good books
from those times.  Skimming
https://capitadiscovery.co.uk/bournemouth-ac/items?query=subject%3A%28UNIX%29&sort=publishedyear
I see decent ones they have include

    Stevens' Unix network programming.
    Levine's Lex & yacc.
    McKusick's Design and implementation of the 4.4BSD operating system.

A book well worth reading they've got is Jon Bentley's ‘Programming
Pearls’.  He was at Bell Labs and uses the Unix shell and small C
programs to tackle many interesting problems.

https://capitadiscovery.co.uk/bournemouth-ac/items?query=subject%3A%28UNIX%29&sort=publishedyear

They also have Aho, Hopcroft, and Ullman's ‘Data structures and
algorithms’ if you like that kind of thing.  Bell Labs again, they
invented some of them and ‘wrote the book’.

I found the search's ability to list the oldest books first useful;
if they have an old book then it's probably one of the classics.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-08-06 20:00