Hi Terry, ... > copied the /home/terry/.config directory from the backup over the > running system. This doesn't appear to have had any effect whatsoever
What the Backup program's configuration visible in the backup? That's what you were trying to obtain. Other than that, what effect were you after? > I've now restored the last full backup to the alternative location, > but it's about 6 weeks old, so I'm a bit concerned about the effect of > overwriting the whole contents of /home. I'd have thought you restore the backup to a new location, getting it as recent as you want, e.g. full plus several incrementals. That's then the content to fill /home from scratch. The existing /home's content gets moved aside so you can cherry-pick bits from it later that are newer than the last incremental you restored from. A restore doesn't get put over the top of the current; it needs to sit underneath. That's can't be done so you start from zero, add the restore, add current. I've looked up the original description: > I'll simply shrink the adjacent partition and increase the swap. > However, the swap partition is on my /home partition and the whole > thing took several hours. Okay, so shrink the partition which is adjacent to /home; that's a risky operation. And then enlarge the /home partition to use the new space. Was that new space after /home, as that makes it a low-risk change which doesn't have to shuffle the data within the partition about. Whereas if the new space was before /home then that's also a risky operation, just like the shrinking first. > Furthermore, an error occured when moving the home data What error? Even the risky enlargement of /home to use new, preceding space shouldn't error unless there's a software bug, or a disk error. Either way, you're then in a hole; that's the risk. > and although I can see the folders, some of the hidden ones appear to > be missing and unfortunately the most important one is > /home/terry.config. Missing files suggests the filesystem's data which tracks directories and files has become messed up from the aborted shuffling about during the resize. That's why I asked if the filesystem passes a forced file-system check from another booted system. -- Cheers, Ralph. -- Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00 Check to whom you are replying Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ... https://dorset.lug.org.uk New thread, don't hijack: mailto:[email protected]

