On 24/09/2026 13:59, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via dorset wrote:
On 24/09/2026 12:38, Terry Coles wrote:
Yes. I'm coming to that conclusion.  If I can't get the right files restored, I'm going to have to copy the contents of the /home directory to an external drive and re-install the whole system, copying the files from the external drive after the system is working.  I've done it before but it means that I have to reconfigure everything from scratch.

I would recommend looking at your drive(s) SMART information using a tool like GSmartControl or GNOME Disks or similar (I don't know what KDE tools can do this off the top of my head). This might tell you if your drive(s) is failing, and that's why the repartition failed.

Kubuntu comes with a SMART Status utility, which shows no errors.  I also ran smartctl -x, which agreed with that result.

I have order a shiny new 1 TB external disc, so that I can copy the current contents of /home and then do a clean installation, as mentioned above.

--

Terry Coles
--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to