Quoting Stephen Feyrer <st...@toth.org.uk>:

Hi.

I'm trying to test EXTERNAL AUTHENTICATION in Dovecot. To do this I first configured Thunderbird and Opera to use my server, neither of them were successful. As a result I contacted both organisations to enquire if they supported EXTERNAL AUTHENTICATION in their products. Thunderbird responded and said yes. However, on closer inspection my contact at Thunderbird identified that support for EXTERNAL AUTHENTICATION was poor at best and then only in SMTP. From that point on, my contact has been trying to implement support in Thunderbird.

[snip]

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE AUTH=EXTERNAL] Dovecot ready.
01 AUTHENTICATE EXTERNAL
+
01 list "" *
01 NO [ALERT] Invalid base64 data in continued response

This is incorrect.  You need this:

C: 01 AUTHENTICATE EXTERNAL
S: +
C:
S: 01 OK

(you are missing the empty response back to the server)

Or, better yet (since SASL-IR is available):

C: 01 AUTHENTICATE EXTERNAL =
S: 01 OK

michael