I completely agree (having said that I'm pretty new to all this so I might be
full of it).

You should run your own CA if you have an active financial interest in your
company (say your the owner). No added benefit to have your certificate
certified by a third party, why would they care about that one client).
Ofcourse people would say "but ofcourse you would verify your own certificate"
but in that case they probably don't understand how it all works.

Ofcourse once your own company grows large you run the same risk of entropy
(incorrect documentation or records, no trained staff, no up to date procedures
etc.) large companies have to deal with. Maybe if you had one person working
full time on it, or an automated process handling things it would be more
secure and reliable.

Was diginotar the Dutch company, I think I remember that one.

Sent from my iPhone