Will,

Thanks for initiating this discussion.  It's been due for a while.  My
comments below...

> DQSD is difficult to install.   There are a lot of reports of problems,
and
> as far as I can see, they're nearly always caused by a failure to get the
> right version of the ActiveX DLL installed and registered.   There's a
> whole performance of logout/login which is difficult to get right, doesn't
> always work properly (depends on platform, I think), and often gives the
> impression that an upgrade can work without a reboot when it can't.
>
> This beta has been particularly bad, because there have been a lot of
> additions to the ActiveX control, so no version of the beta will load with
> the previous version's DLL.

Agreed.  Largely my fault I'm afraid.

> 1. Install script doesn't have uninstall code for the 'current' version
> (i.e. it deletes DLLs up to the previous version, but not the current one)
>
> 2. DLL version number is not being bumped for the beta revision
> points.   This defeats a load of code in the install script which does
> version comparison.
>
> 3. AFAIK, we're not changing Progids/GUIDs on the ActiveX interfaces when
> we change the interface.   We probably should be.

Have you had success with this?  My experience has been a maintenance
nightmare.  Not to say it isn't the correct thing to do.

> 4. How does the installer actually handle installations to locked
> files?   Does it do something like a SetupInstallFileEx which means that a
> reboot is really required?   I see that the script is supposed to warn
that
> the file's not been unloaded, but I've never actually seen that warning
> appear even though I've had installation failures.

Don't know.  It should do something in the case of locked files.  I assumed
NSIS did something with the runonce registry entry in the case of locked
files, but I've never looked into it.

> 5. We could have some startup code in (or called by) search.htm which did
> rather more controlled check of DLL version and displayed something more
> helpful than having random script errors after the bar has apparently
> loaded OK.

Agreed.

> 6. We could have some kind of external (?) diagnostic utility which would
> report what the current setup actually was and put that onto the clipboard
> so that people could make better bug reports.

Great idea.

> What do people think?   Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this needs
> improvement....

Not at all.