john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
----------------------------------------------------------------------
At 02:03 PM 11/6/2007, Mike Bryce wrote:
the reason is not really clear..

but here goes

if there is a fault in one or both of the tubes, or a short circuit
someplace on the +2700 volt line

this resistor acts like a fuse and pops open.


And it's quite handy!

I have (ahem) tested this function on a 30L1 that I was working on last year. It uses a cluster of 2W carbon comps as the HV fuse. Since I forgot that the Collins has multiple spring loaded interlocks on the B+ when it's out of the cabinet, I was able to fully appreciate the beauty of these resistors . After the smoke cleared, I was able to see that the resistors opened and perhaps saved the transformer from my stupidity!

"Normal" fuses ...the 3AG types, are not rated for HV, and may not clear when overloaded with such HV. This arrangement is also a good surge stopper....

Cheap insurance

John K5MO

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Submissions:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] - unsubscribe drakelist in body
Hopelessly Lost:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message
Zerobeat Web Page:  www.zerobeat.net - sponsored by www.tlchost.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to