Hi Carey,

Please don't feel bad, you asked a perfectly reasonable question and found 
the answer. There was really no way to enter a question like that into a search 
engine until you at least had a manufacturers name or model number. That you 
got and that is why we are all here, to help eachother. If you did not happen 
to know about the Drake site, you could not be expected to be able to find out 
anything, either. The last time I tried to find the Drake site on Google, the 
link did not work, so you can see there are problems.  In any rate, welcome to 
the reflector and to the world of Drake collecting.

My little tirade was about the folks who know what they want and in many 
cases have the above information. Then they get onto the reflectors looking for 
someone to look it up for them, or maybe even send them the tube, connector or 
other part from their junk box at no cost.  Rarely do you see someone offer up 
front to pay for the item. Maybe they would offer to pay after someone offers 
them the item, but it is not that evident at the outset. I used to send out 
connectors, hardware and other stuff just to help out. Now with increased 
postage rates and limited time to find suitable packing, box it up and take it 
to 
the post office or shipping company, I can no longer do that gratis. Good guy 
or 
not, it is just not worth the hassle unless a fair price is paid and the 
postage covered.

I do have an extensive library of manuals, catalogs and reference books and I 
am glad to look up things for folks. A goodly number of manuals are now 
available free or at reasonable cost for a quality reprint. Therefore, I will 
no 
longer take the time to go to Kinkos or other copy place to reproduce a manual 
for free. The only time I would even offer is if it happened to be a rare 
manual what I was sure was not available anywhere else. Also, there is the 
copyright law bit and I have been challenged about that several times by 
overzealous 
clerks at the copy stores. Although most of these materials are very old and 
the companies are in many cases defunct, nobody knows if someone out there 
still 
holds a copyright. For instance, in the case of Hallicrafters, the name is 
owned by an electronics company and Drake is still in business although neither 
is in the ham gear market at this point.

73,  

John,  W4AWM


**************************************
 See what's new at 
http://www.aol.com

Reply via email to