Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dick -

You have it right. Try and get three (or two) of the same brand together. Preferred tubes are Sylvania, Zenith, RCA and GE in that order. All Zenith branded tubes were manufactured by Sylvania. There are "some" that will not work without modification of the neutralization circuitry in the transmitter, but these are not always "brand specific" since many tubes were cross branded. I have had specific problems with Westinghouse and Raytheon branded tubes. The "generic" brands that came late in tube production are suspect since there is no way to know who made them, almost certainly NOT the name on the tube.

The 6KM6 is not a particularly good sub. It has considerably different interelement capacitances, Plate resistance and Transconductance, each of which "could" be a problem for stability. Certainly not in the TR-4 series, since the filament current for the 'KM is 1.6A vs the 1.2A for the 'JB, and the filaments of the TR-4 are a series/parallel combination. There are a lot of "recommendations" on the auction sites that serve no-one except the seller.!

The best substitute I have found to work consistently, following the same brand limitations above, is the 6GJ5/A. It is an _identical_ tube with the single exception that the Suppressor grid is connected to the cathode internally rather than being brought out to Pin 8 as in the 'JB. Since the Drake transmitter finals are operated in Class AB1, grounded cathode; and Pin 8 of the socket is grounded, the 'GJ is a drop-in replacement.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>



Donley wrote:
I have seen some comment on power amplifier tubes for the above Drake transmitters, but I would like some definitive information. My T-4XB uses 6JB6 and the T-4XC and TR-4C use 6JB6A's. I do not know the brand names on the current tubes as I have had no need to open the cases. 1. The 6JB6-6JB6A should be interchangeable as long as all tubes are the same in one transmitter? 2. I believe I remember that Sylvania was the tube of choice? Are there any other manufacturers' tubes that will work satisfactorily? Are there any that absolutely will not work? 3. Are there any substitutes (6KM6) that will work? I have seen 6KM6's on the auction site that are claimed to be excellent substitutes. 4. If this has been hashed out before, please tell me and point me to the archives. Thanks. Dick
KC9UB

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Submissions:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] - unsubscribe drakelist in body
Hopelessly Lost:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message
Zerobeat Web Page:  www.zerobeat.net - sponsored by www.tlchost.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to