  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:32 AM
  Subject: Re: [drakelist] re TR7 PTO/troubleshooting in general

  I've brought up this idea several times to various groups, including post
Drake Forum discussions at Hamvention.  Many of us have valuable experiences
that, taken as a whole, represent what might be considered as "how the experts
fault isolate".  One of the key elements in fault isolation is knowing the
probabilities of various failures from the symptoms.  For example, the service
manuals don't tell you, for a given symptom(s), what the first most likely
cause is, what the second most likely cause is, and so forth.  The expert
service technician knows this based upon experience, you know, that element
that makes one "over qualified" and thus unable to perform (not sure I
understand that concept but the job interviewers do).  Such an undertaking can
be quite large and would be the labor of love.  I encourage the pursuit of such
an endeavor.

  Along with the above, of interest might be "tips and tricks", those things
the experts use to make the job easier.  For example, I have a process that I
use when rebuilding/upgrading power supplies for the L4B/L7 linears.  Having
the parts on hand and a workable process speeds things up and keeps costs down.
 The result, your Drakes are returned to service sooner, and this means more
fun sooner...