From: Jim Shorney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:35 pm
Subject: [drakelist] Pondering RF Feedback (TR7/SP75)

"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang

Some readers may recall that last year I was plagued by RF feedback at Field
Day
with the TR7/SP75
combination. Careful balancing of the mic gain and SP75 input and output levels
could eliminate it most of
the time, but not always.

This year, I connected a ground strap from the SP75 to the TR7 chassis, as  was
suggested here. Well, that
helped quite a bit. However, I was still seeing some RF feedback this year. It
was happening with the Yagi
(4-el 20 meter monoband) pointed generally southwesterly, which would have been
pretty much over my
head. As usual, were stationed in an EMCOMM trailer on a concrete parking lot,
with no station ground
available. The feedback could be mostly eliminated, depending on the actual
position of the Yagi, by
reducing the TR7 mic gain. I couldn't nail down exactly where it was getting
in,
but it seemed to have
something to do with the microphone wiring - a Telex Echelon 150 aircraft
active
noise-cancelling headset
with a homebrew interface box. The box was solid aluminum, mic cable to the
SP75
was RG-174/U coax,
and power for the ANC amplifier and mic bias was well bypassed. Sort of a
puzzler.

Then I found this surfing the web: http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

This may be old news to some of you, but what caught my eye was the author's
description of what is called
"the Pin 1 problem". I recalled from having been inside these boxen that the
mic
ground connection inside
both the TR7 and the SP75 is not tied to the chassis at the point of entry, but
rather, is wired to the circuit
board. According to the referenced article, this is bad.

I've made wiring changes to both the TR7 and SP75 to establish proper
grounding,
as described in the
article. There is also a tech note on Heil's web site regarding this problem:
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/tips/rfi_removal_mics.htm

Heil provides a method of grounding at the mic connector that is pretty easy,
but I have a lot of microphones
and I like to try out different things.

It seems possible that this may be where my feedback was entering, but I have
no
way of duplicating the
Field Day conditions at home (and I doubt the radio club will want to drag out
the trailer, Yagi, and tower just
to test my rig). I don't recall ever seeing this sort of RF feedback at home,
so
it will have to wait for next year
to test out the "Pin 1 problem" theory. I'm thinking I will take along some
snap-on ferrite chokes next time as
well - or maybe I can get the club to add some to the Field Day kit.

Any thoughts from the gallery?

73

-Jim
NU0C

(BTW, the Echelon headset knocked the generator noise right out of the
headphones...)